Connect with us

COVID19

We have paid N20bn COVID-19 allowance to health workers – Minister of state for Health, Olorunnimbe Mamora

Published

on

Sponsored

 

Olorunnumbe Mamora, the Minister of State for Health, says the Federal Government has paid up to N20bn as COVID-19 inducement allowance to doctors and health workers in the country.

 

Mamora made this known when he appeared as a guest on Channels TV on Wednesday, September 9.

 

Recall that on Monday, September 7, resident doctors embarked on a strike action due to some unfulfilled promises made to them by the Federal government. One of which is the payment of COVID-19 inducement allowances as well as the payment of medical residency training funding, amongst others. The doctors claim they haven’t been paid.

 

However during his interview, Mamora said it would be unfair for the doctors to claim they haven’t received any thing as COVID-19 allowance. According to him, the Federal government has so far disbursed N20 billion as COVID-19 allowance.

ALSO READ:  Manchester City players, Aymeric Laporte and Riyad Mahrez test positive for COVID-19

 

“We have been able to pay the COVID-19 inducement allowance because we had to suspend the hazard allowance for this period so that we can go into renegotiation after.

We are now paying starting from 50 per cent of the basic of the workers depending on where the point of operation is. We were able to pay April, May full, June, part of it has been paid but not fully paid and it’s because of the economic situation and these funds have to be sourced for one way or the other.

Sponsored

We’ve been able to disbursed close to N20bn and I repeat close to 20bn. So, to now say nothing has been done, that is not true.”she said

 

Addressing the grievance of the doctors over the insurance package for health workers who die in the line of duty, Mamora said,

 

“Every worker in the Federal Civil Service is entitled to the Group Life Insurance Scheme which is domiciled in the office of the head of Civil Service of the Federation.

We discussed this in our previous engagements with the doctors and we did say that you need to come up with this information and all the relevant officials, particularly in the office of the head of Civil Service of the Federation were present so that they (doctors) will know who to direct all these things to.

What we just do in the ministry of health is the supervision of the process. So, when a health worker dies and he was an employee of the Federal Government, the information comes to us, goes to our Human Resources Directorate and it is processed. Ours is to do a follow-up but the office of the head of Civil Service will get these things done because they are the one that interface with insurance companies because it is a group of insurance companies that manage this process.

But what we have discovered is that some of the time, the appropriate information is not made available. For example, we have asked the various federal tertiary hospitals to come up with their nominal role so we know who is on that list and stands to benefit in the event that death, unfortunately, happens. We made that clear and the doctors said they now understand better.”

Sponsored

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

COVID19

E!’s Giuliana Rancic announces she and her family have tested positive for coronavirus

Published

on

Sponsored

Giuliana Rancic has announced that she and her family have tested positive for coronavirus.

 

The veteran E! host released a statement during Sunday’s Live From the Red Carpet: The 2020 Emmy Awards special explaining why she wasn’t present to host the red carpet coverage.

 

In the statement, the American-Italian reporter, 46, revealed that her husband, Bill Rancic, and their son, Duke also tested positive for COVID-19.

ALSO READ:  Governor Akeredolu's son, Babajide, tests positive for COVID-19
Sponsored

 

“Hey, everyone. As I go into my 20th year on the E! red carpet I have to say I do not take missing an award show lightly, but unfortunately this year is just so different,” Rancic shared with fans. “As part of E! and NBCUniversal’s very strict testing guidelines, especially before an event like this, I did find out that I tested positive for COVID-19. Now as much as I didn’t want to hear that, I’m very thankful I heard it before I traveled and possibly could have exposed other people. So for that, I’m thankful.”

 

ALSO READ:  221 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Nigeria

Rancic continued, “As far as my health, I’m doing well. My husband Bill and our son [Duke] also did test positive, but we’re all doing well and taking care each other so I’m going to get back to doing that. But I just want to say I’m wishing you all the best and please protect yourselves and protect those around you. Take good care and I’ll see you on the next red carpet.” 

 

ALSO READ:  386 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria

Brad Goreski and Nightly Pop’s Nina Parker took over G’s hosting duties during Sunday’s Live From the Red Carpet show ahead of the 2020 Emmy Awards.

Sponsored

Continue Reading

COVID19

79 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria

Published

on

Sponsored

79 new cases of Coronavirus were recorded in Nigeria on Sunday September 13, as confirmed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

ALSO READ:  India overtakes Brazil to become second worst-hit country by Coronavirus pandemic

 

The agency gave a breakdown of the new cases across states in the country as follows; Lagos-30, Kaduna-17, Ogun-7, Anambra-5, Kano-4, Katsina-3, FCT-3, Akwa Ibom-3, Oyo-2, Rivers-2, Delta-1, Plateau-1, Ondo-1.

ALSO READ:  221 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Nigeria

 

There are now 56,256 confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the country and 1, 082 deaths has been recorded.  44,152 patients who recovered from the disease have also been discharged.

ALSO READ:  143 new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Nigeria
Sponsored

 

79 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria

79 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria

Sponsored

Continue Reading

COVID19

‘Trump committed second-degree murder with handling of Coronavirus and must be held accountable for deaths’ – Lawyer Glenn Kirschner says

Published

on

Sponsored

Top American lawyer and MSNBC legal analyst, Glenn Kirschner, says US President Trump committed second-degree murder with his handling of the Coronavirus pandemic.

 

Kirschner feels audio excerpts from interviews that journalist Bob Woodward conducted with Trump in February and March that were published by The Washington Post on Wednesday prove his guilt.

 

The interviews written in Woodward’s forthcoming book, “Rage” detail how Trump talked about the deadly nature of the Coronavirus pandemic but explained he wanted to downplay it to avoid widespread panic.

 

While Trump says he did not lie to the American people, Kirschner (pictured below) disagrees.

ALSO READ:  386 new cases of Coronavirus recorded in Nigeria

 

“What Donald Trump has just done by virtue of the tapes that Bob Woodward released, is he has upped his own criminal ante to second-degree murder,” Kirschner said Friday on SiriusXM’s “The Dean Obeidallah Show.”

Sponsored

“He was lying to the American people about the danger this virus posed,” Kirschner continued.

“He was saying to Bob Woodward, in very dramatic tones, you know, ‘This thing is airborne only you need to do is breathe near somebody who is infected and you are going to get it,’ he didn’t tell the American people that. But what did he do? He refused to order the production of the personal protective equipment.”

ALSO READ:  221 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Nigeria

“This man has upped the criminal ante to second-degree murder, and there are only two elements for second-degree murder. The first is you caused the death of another. The second element is the intent element,” Kirschner said. “And here’s where it would otherwise get tricky if we didn’t have Trump’s incriminating admissions.”

 

Kirschner explained that Trump didn’t intend to kill people but that doesn’t matter at all because he feels the president committed “conscious disregard, which fits the criteria of second-degree murder.”

ALSO READ:  Tiffany Haddish reveals she tested positive for Coronavirus

“That’s defined as, your conduct was in conscious disregard of the extreme risk you were creating to other human beings that they would suffer death or serious bodily injury,” he said.

“Trump has admitted, in my opinion as a career prosecutor and, frankly, I was the most experienced homicide prosecutor in the Department of Justice because of our unique jurisdictional mandate in D.C., that is second-degree murder and Donald Trump must be held accountable.”

Sponsored

Continue Reading