Connect with us

Sports

Shambolic Barcelona thrashed 8-2 by Bayern Munich

Published

on

Sponsored

One of the most remarkable results in Champions League history ends with Bayern putting eight past Barca!

The Catalans were put to the sword by the rampant Bundesliga champions, exiting Europe in embarrassing fashion
Barcelona’s attempt to bring the Champions League back to Camp Nou after a five-year absence ended in humiliation on Friday, as Bayern Munich trounced them 8-2 in the quarter-final.

ALSO READ:  Chelsea agree £50m deal for Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell

Muller and Coutinho, the latter still a Barca player, each got two, while there were also goals for Perisic, Gnabry, Kimmich and Lewandowski. Alaba’s own goal actually levelled the game at an early stage, but Suarez’s goal was a consolation.

ALSO READ:  Wolves complete '£37m' signing of Portuguese right-back, Nelson Semedo from Barcelona
Sponsored

This was a complete humbling for one of the biggest clubs in world football.

Bayern march on. They will face Manchester City or Lyon in the last four and must surely back themselves to clinch a treble now. At Barca, Quique Setien’s future looks extremely uncertain. His team have capitulated.

ALSO READ:  Barcelona officially sack Quique Setien after Bayern Munich humiliation with Ronald Koeman set to replace him

Sponsored

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Manchester City announce £64m signing of Ruben Dias from Benfica on a six-year deal 

Published

on

By

Sponsored

Manchester City has announced the signing of Portuguese defender Ruben Dias from Benfica in a £64.3million move.

 

The 23-year-old who had his medical in Lisbon signed a six-year contract, which saw Nicolas Otamendi moved to Benfica for £13.7m as part of the deal.

 

‘I am a player that loves to win, a player for the team, for the fans, a player that loves this family spirit which I am feeling a lot since I have been here,’ Dias said.

 

‘I am an aggressive player and I love what I do. I love the game and without getting into too much detail, because it is something you will see when I start playing, the most important thing to say is I love to win and that is the thing you most need to know about me.

ALSO READ:  Chelsea agree £50m deal for Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell

Manchester City announce ?64m signing of Ruben Dias from Benfica on a six-year deal?

‘I am expecting the Premier League to be the reason why I wanted to be a football player. To have that feeling when I am on the field, when my arms get goosebumps.

 

‘That is it, that feeling, you cannot even put it into words. For me, the Premier League means all of that and to be able to play in the Premier League at a top club like City, it doesn’t get much bigger than that.’

ALSO READ:  Neymar left in tears after losing UEFA champions league final (Photos)
Sponsored

 

After failing to replace Vincent Kompany last year, City sporting director Txiki Begiristain revealed that the club are expecting Dias to take leadership responsibility.

 

‘Ruben is a player we have admired for some time and we have been impressed with how he has progressed at Benfica,’ Begiristain said.

 

‘He has developed into a real leader and as a defender, he has all the attributes we are looking for. He is strong in the air, good in one v one situations and technically, he is very good, so we are confident he can thrive in our system.

ALSO READ:  Atletico Madrid stars, Diego Costa and Santiago Arias test positive for Coronavirus

Manchester City announce ?64m signing of Ruben Dias from Benfica on a six-year deal?

‘He is young but has gained valuable experience at a big European club in Benfica and we’re really pleased we’ve been able to sign him. He is another talented addition to the squad and someone who is only going to get better working under Pep.’

 

Dias, who becomes City’s third signing of the summer following the arrivals of Nathan Ake and Ferran Torres, will wear the No 3 shirt.

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Sports

Liverpool midfielder, Thiago Alcantara tests positive for Coronavirus

Published

on

By

Sponsored

Liverpool midfielder, Thiago Alcantara has tested positive for coronavirus and is self-isolating, the club confirmed on Tuesday.

 

The 29-year-old Spaniard only joined Liverpool from Bayern Munich last month in a deal worth up to £25m, and made his debut for the Premier League champions in a 2-0 win at Chelsea on September 20.

ALSO READ:  Neymar left in tears after losing UEFA champions league final (Photos)

 

He was a surprise absentee from Liverpool’s squad that faced Arsenal in Monday night’s 3-1 victory, but his omission has now been explained.

 

Liverpool released a statement via the club’s official Twitter account confirming his diagnosis: “Thiago Alcantara has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently self-isolating according to the necessary guidelines.”

Sponsored

 

ALSO READ:  Wolves complete '£37m' signing of Portuguese right-back, Nelson Semedo from Barcelona

“The 29-year-old, who missed Monday’s match against Arsenal, has exhibited minor symptoms of the virus but is in good health and is getting better.”

 

“The club has, and will continue to follow, all protocols relating to COVID-19 and Thiago will remain in self-isolation for the required period of time.”

 

LFC first-team doctor, Dr Jim Moxon, added: “It is the choice of each individual whether they reveal publicly the outcome of a COVID-19 test.

ALSO READ:  Arsenal begins EPL Season by trashing newly promoted Fulham 3-0

 

“We have followed all the protocols to the letter and Thiago is OK. He will be self-isolating now as per the guidelines and hopefully he’ll be back with us soon.”

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Sports

Chelsea complete £22m signing of Senegalese goalkeeper Edouard Mendy from Rennes

Published

on

Sponsored

Chelsea have completed the signing of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy from Ligue 1 outfit Rennes in a £22m deal.

 

The Senegalese international, 28, has penned a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge and is expected to become Chelsea’s No 1 ahead of Kepa Arrizabalaga and Willy Caballero.

 

After signing his long-term contract with the Blues, Mendy said: ‘I am so excited to be joining Chelsea. It’s a dream for me to be a part of this exciting squad and to work with Frank Lampard and all of his coaching staff. I look forward to meeting my team-mates and can’t wait to get started.’

Sponsored
ALSO READ:  Barcelona officially sack Quique Setien after Bayern Munich humiliation with Ronald Koeman set to replace him

 

On signing Mendy, Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: ‘As soon as Petr Cech and our technical team identified Edouard as the most suitable goalkeeper to complement our existing group, there was only one player we wanted to bring in. Edouard arrives following a season of real success with Rennes, he is ambitious for more, and we welcome him to our club.’

 

ALSO READ:  Arsenal begins EPL Season by trashing newly promoted Fulham 3-0

Edouard Mendy becomes Chelsea’s seventh signing after the arrival of Hakim Ziyech (Ajax) Malang Sarr (Nice) Ben Chilwell (Leicester) Thiago Silva (PSG), Timo Werner ( RB Leipzig ), and Kai Havertz ( Bayern Leverkusen).

ALSO READ:  Barcelona 3-1 Napoli (agg: 4-2): Messi leads Barça through

Sponsored

Continue Reading