Rock & Roll music legend, Neil Young has sued President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign for playing his song during his political rallies and events without his permission.
Trump’s reelection campaign repeatedly played Young’s songs “Rockin’ in the Free World” and “Devil’s Sidewalk” at several rallies without seeking permission, according to court papers filed by Young’s attorneys.
According to the filings, his songs were also played at the June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, a rally that generated widespread criticism for taking place amidst the Covid-19 pandemic.
Young is seeking as much as $150,000 per each copyright infringement and asking that Trump’s campaign do not play his songs ever again, according to the complaint.
“This complaint is not intended to disrespect the rights and opinions of American citizens, who are free to support the candidate of their choosing,” Young’s lawyers wrote in the complaint, which was filed on Tuesday in the Southern District of New York and posted on the artist’s website.
“However, Plaintiff in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a ‘theme song’ for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate.”
Young, a two-time Grammy-winning artist has previously blasted Trump’s campaign for using his songs.
“I stand in solidarity with the Lakota Sioux & this is NOT ok with me,” Young tweeted in response to a video showing “Rockin’ in the Free World” being played before the President’s July 3 rally at Mount Rushmore.
Back in 2016, Young told Reuters that he would have liked the Trump campaign to ask for permission to use the song before it was played at rallies. Trump’s campaign had issued a statement saying it obtained a license to do so, Young’s lawyers said in the complaint.
This time around, the campaign has “willfully ignored” Young’s requests to stop playing his songs despite knowing that a license is necessary, they continued.
India and China agree to stop sending troops to disputed Himalayan border
China and India have agreed to stop sending military troops to their disputed border in the Himalayas, following an escalation in tensions between the two nuclear powers.
Senior military commanders from India and China met on Monday to discuss stabilizing tensions along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the demarcation line that separates the two military giants.
The Line of Actual Control, which marks the de facto border and passes through the lake, was established in the wake of the 1962 Sino-Indian war. India and China do not agree on its precise location and regularly accuse each other of overstepping it.
Tensions have been rising in the Himalayas since a bloody clash between Indian and Chinese troops in June and efforts to deescalate in the wake of the violence appeared to be faltering.
At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in that incident.
In a joint statement, both countries greed to strengthen communication on the ground to avoid misunderstandings or action “that may complicate the situation.”
They also agreed to not take any unilateral action that would change the situation on the ground, according to the statement.
Another round of high-level military meetings will be held “as soon as possible,” the statement said.
After the military confrontation between both countries inm Jund, meetings were immediately set up between enjoys of both countries.
Then early this month, New Delhi and Beijing accused each other of illegally crossing into their territories.
A week later, China and India accused each other’s troops of firing warning shots across the Sino-Indian border, Both sides blamed the other for violating bilateral agreements and taking “provocative” actions.
This is the first time in more than four decades that India and China have confronted each other. In 1996, the two countries signed an agreement which states that neither side shall open fire within 2 kilometers (1.24 miles) from the LAC to “prevent dangerous military activities.”
US hails INEC and security agencies over Edo governorship election
The United States government has commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and security agencies over the conduct of the Edo State Governorship election.
In its tweets on Wednesday September 23, the US government also commended the people of Edo State for exercising their franchise.
Congratulations@inecnigeria and Nigerian security services on the Edo governorship election. We commend the people of Edo State for exercising their franchise and recognize @GovernorObaseki & @PastorIzeIyamu for encouraging peace.
Thanks to civil society partners @YIAGA and @SituationRoomNg @cleenfoundation @KDI_ng for their invaluable work. #EdoDecides2020
US 2020 Election: Trump calls mail-in voting a ‘scam”
US President, Donald Trump, has called mail-in voting a “scam” during a press conference on Friday September 17, blasting the voting system in which states send mail-in ballots directly to voters due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
More than half of all Americans are expected to vote through the mail this presidential election, though over 40 percent of Americans voted by mail in the 2016 and 2012 general elections, according to the Election Assistance Commission.
Several states, including Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, and Washington, automatically send out mail-in ballots to all state residents for the general election.
But due to the Coronavirus pandemic, California, Nevada, New Jersey, Vermont, and Washington D.C. will automatically mail out ballots to all residents for the 2020 election.
“They’re sending out tens of millions of ballots to everybody, people that didn’t expect them. People are getting inundated with ballots, they’ll be showered with ballots,” Trump said Friday.
“Everybody in this room knows it’s a scam,” the president continued, gesturing to the White House press pool. “They are never going to be able to count them.”
It’s a disaster, everyone knows it,” Trump told reporters before adding that the U.S. Postal Service was not to blame for the 2020 primary election mishaps, when hundreds of thousands of ballots went uncounted .
“Where are these ballots going? Who’s sending them? Who’s signing them?” Trump asked, attempting to show why he thinks voting through the mail is insecure.
“I think it’s going to be a terrible time for this country and we are counting on federal judges to do a great constitutional job.”
Recently, Trump cynically stated that 80 million Americans would receive mail-in ballots as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, a figure he alleges will invalidate the 2020 election results.