Connect with us

Politics

Pondei not collecting kickback from contractors ― NDDC reacts

Published

on

Sponsored

The Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, has rebutted the allegation  that the Acting Managing Director, MD,  Interim Management Committee, IMC, Professor Kemebradikumo Pondei, was collecting 30 per cent kickbackfrom contractors, saying Mr Joe Adia, who made the allegation was not the President of Contractors Association.

A top official of the interventionist agency, who spoke to Vanguard on phone, said: “The allegation Mr Joe Adia is false, he is not even the President of NDDC Contractors Association as he tried to claim. There are about five different contractors association and he is not their leader.”

ALSO READ:  'If you can protest in person you can vote in person' - Trump voices disapproval of mail-in voting

“You see, all these allegations are coming up again because the outcome of the National Assembly probe has not led to the intended plans of those who want to rubbish the IMC and have it removed, they are now raking up mud.

“Some of the lawmakers and those supporting their game plan want the IMC dissolved, but their plan is not working out, that is why they have embarked on this leg of their smear campaign,” he added.

The official stated: “How can they be talking about Senate report after the Ag. MD had earlier dispelled the wicked allegation when he appeared before the Senate Adhoc Committee in July.

ALSO READ:  Nigeria is becoming a failed and divided state under President Buhari – Obasanjo
Sponsored

“Adia raised the matter and Pondei told the Senate that if he could be associated with even one per cent kickback, he would resign.

“From where are they bringing up the matter again, why the Senate is choosing to spread lies in the guise of allegation by a bogus contractor?

“Have they traced any kickback, even one per cent paid by any contractor to NDDC MD, why are they then believing and helping to spread the lie that he is involved in contract splitting and kickbacks of 20-30 per cent?

ALSO READ:  Edo factional House of Assembly members impeach speaker and deputy speaker

“Professor Pondei told the Senate Committee that he would resign his appointment immediately if anyone showed any evidence that he collected even one per cent from any contractor, let the committee and the contractor show proof instead of maligning him,” he stated.

Mr Joe Adia had in his oral submission after submitting a memo to the investigative panel, explained that contractors, who agreed to pay 20-30 per cent were those the commission paid.Vanguard News Nigeria.

Sponsored

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

India and China agree to stop sending troops to disputed Himalayan border

Published

on

Sponsored

China and India have agreed to stop sending military troops to their disputed border in the Himalayas, following an escalation in tensions between the two nuclear powers.

 

Senior military commanders from India and China met on Monday to discuss stabilizing tensions along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the demarcation line that separates the two military giants.

 

The Line of Actual Control, which marks the de facto border and passes through the lake, was established in the wake of the 1962 Sino-Indian war.  India and China do not agree on its precise location and regularly accuse each other of overstepping it.

ALSO READ:  My boobs are my unique selling points - Comedienne Ada Ebere

 

                   India and China agree to stop sending troops to disputed Himalayan border

 

Tensions have been rising in the Himalayas since a bloody clash between Indian and Chinese troops in June and efforts to deescalate in the wake of the violence appeared to be faltering.

At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed in that incident.

Sponsored

 

In a joint statement, both countries greed to strengthen communication on the ground to avoid misunderstandings or action “that may complicate the situation.”
They also agreed to not take any unilateral action that would change the situation on the ground, according to the statement.

ALSO READ:  EFCC secures final forfeiture of N827.6m from NDDC contractors

 

Another round of high-level military meetings will be held “as soon as possible,” the statement said.

 

After the military confrontation between both countries inm Jund, meetings were immediately set up between enjoys of both countries.

 

Then early this month,  New Delhi and Beijing accused each other of illegally crossing into their territories.

ALSO READ:  "I'm ready to give most of my income to the poor" Dele Momodu reveals as he says it's what Jesus asked of the rich

 

A week later, China and India accused each other’s troops of firing warning shots across the Sino-Indian border, Both sides blamed the other for violating bilateral agreements and taking “provocative” actions.

 

This is the first time in more than four decades that India and China have confronted each other. In 1996, the two countries signed an agreement which states that neither side shall open fire within 2 kilometers (1.24 miles) from the LAC to “prevent dangerous military activities.”

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Politics

US hails INEC and security agencies over Edo governorship election

Published

on

Sponsored

The United States government has commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and security agencies over the conduct of the Edo State Governorship election.

ALSO READ:  US hails INEC and security agencies over Edo governorship election

 

In its tweets on Wednesday September 23, the US government also commended the people of Edo State for exercising their franchise.

 

ALSO READ:  'If you can protest in person you can vote in person' - Trump voices disapproval of mail-in voting

It read;

Sponsored

 

Congratulations@inecnigeria and Nigerian security services on the Edo governorship election. We commend the people of Edo State for exercising their franchise and recognize @GovernorObaseki & @PastorIzeIyamu  for encouraging peace.

Thanks to civil society partners @YIAGA and @SituationRoomNg @cleenfoundation @KDI_ng  for their invaluable work. #EdoDecides2020

 

ALSO READ:  Nigeria is becoming a failed and divided state under President Buhari – Obasanjo

US hails INEC and security agencies over Edo governorship election

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Politics

US 2020 Election: Trump calls mail-in voting a ‘scam”

Published

on

Sponsored

US President, Donald Trump, has called mail-in voting a “scam” during a press conference on Friday September 17, blasting the voting system in which states send mail-in ballots directly to voters due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

 

More than half of all Americans are expected to vote through the mail this presidential election, though over 40 percent of Americans voted by mail in the 2016 and 2012 general elections, according to the Election Assistance Commission.

ALSO READ:  "I'm ready to give most of my income to the poor" Dele Momodu reveals as he says it's what Jesus asked of the rich

 

Several states, including Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, and Washington, automatically send out mail-in ballots to all state residents for the general election.

 

But due to the Coronavirus pandemic, California, Nevada, New Jersey, Vermont, and Washington D.C. will automatically mail out ballots to all residents for the 2020 election.

“They’re sending out tens of millions of ballots to everybody, people that didn’t expect them. People are getting inundated with ballots, they’ll be showered with ballots,” Trump said Friday.

ALSO READ:  'If you can protest in person you can vote in person' - Trump voices disapproval of mail-in voting

“Everybody in this room knows it’s a scam,” the president continued, gesturing to the White House press pool. “They are never going to be able to count them.”

Sponsored

 

It’s a disaster, everyone knows it,” Trump told reporters before adding that the U.S. Postal Service was not to blame for the 2020 primary election mishaps, when hundreds of thousands of ballots went uncounted .

“Where are these ballots going? Who’s sending them?  Who’s signing them?” Trump asked, attempting to show why he thinks voting through the mail is insecure.

ALSO READ:  EFCC secures final forfeiture of N827.6m from NDDC contractors

“I think it’s going to be a terrible time for this country and we are counting on federal judges to do a great constitutional job.”

 

Recently, Trump cynically stated that 80 million Americans  would receive mail-in ballots as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, a figure he alleges will invalidate the 2020 election results.

 

US 2020 Election: Trump calls mail-in voting a

Sponsored

Continue Reading