Connect with us

Politics

Organizers cancel second Trump-Biden debate after the US President insisted on a physical debate in spite of having Coronavirus

Published

on

Sponsored

The second debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden has been cancelled by the Commission on Presidential Debates after the US President declined participating in a virtual debate despite being infected with Coronavirus.

 

Cancellation of the debate on Friday October 9, leaves just one more debate on the schedule and is expected to hold in Nashville, Tennessee on October 22 before the November 3 election.

 

The commission said in a statement;

 

“It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22.

“Each (candidate) now has announced alternate plans for that date, it is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15.”

Sponsored

 

The commission had announced on Thursday morning that because Trump tested positive for Coronavirus, the debate that was scheduled for Miami would be held virtually, with the two candidates appearing from remote locations.

 

Trump swiftly rejected that plan, saying he would not show up and setting off a series of events that put the future of all general election debates into question. Biden had also said earlier this week he would not debate Trump in person if he still had the virus, and his campaign called Trump’s refusal to adapt to a virtual format “shameful.”

 

Following the cancellation, the Republican president will travel on Monday October 12 to central Florida, a state crucial to his hopes of winning a second term in the November 3 election.

 

He will stage his first campaign rally since his coronavirus diagnosis at an airport in the town of Sanford. The campaign did not disclose if it would be held in a hangar with doors open, as it has in the past, or entirely outside

Sponsored

ALSO READ:  Your woeful leadership of Edo State will hopefully be brought to an end soon- Tinubu tells Governor Obaseki
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Family of slain Abuja newspaper vendor demands N500m compensation from Gbajabiamila

Published

on

Sponsored

The family of late Ifeanyi Okereke, the newspaper vendor who was killed by a stray bullet fired by a security detail attached to Speaker of the House of Assembly, Femi Gbajabiamila, are demanding N500 million compensation from the speaker.

 

DSS Officer, Abdullahi Hassan, attached to the speaker, fired a gunshot to disperse newspaper vendors who gathered around the speaker last Thursday, November 19, with one bullet hitting Ifeanyi who died instantly.

 

In a letter written by their lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN) and dated today November 24, the family of late Ifeanyi asked Gbajabiamila to ensure that Hassan is fully prosecuted. Ozekhome was given the mandate to write the letter by the father of the deceased, Okorie Okereke; and the younger brother to the deceased, Destiny Okereke.

ALSO READ:  Your woeful leadership of Edo State will hopefully be brought to an end soon- Tinubu tells Governor Obaseki

 

The letter read in part

Sponsored

 

“Our clients have instructed us to make from your good self, the following modest demands: That you use your good offices to ensure the immediate prosecution of your security aide (Abdullahi Hassan), who went on a frolic of his own, clearly acted outside the purview of his duty and responsibility by shooting to death an innocent, harmless and armless citizen.

That you adequately compensate the Okereke family with a modest sum of N500m only. This monetary demand can never adequately replace or take the place of their son, husband, brother, and breadwinner’s life. But it will at least mitigate the obvious trauma and hardship the premature demise of their irreplaceable breadwinner has placed on them.”

 

ALSO READ:  Fuel price increase is beyond Buhari’s control - Minister of state for petroleum resources, Timipre Sylva

The Okereke family gave the Speaker a seven-day ultimatum to meet their demands otherwise they would take legal action against him

ALSO READ:  Nigerian army's claim it was Governor Sanwo-Olu that asked for soldiers to be deployed to Lekki is of grave implication - Femi Fani-Kayode

 

“Take note therefore that it is our clients’ firm instruction that in the event that you fail, refuse and/or neglect to accede to or proffer reasonable compensatory terms to our above modest demands within seven days from the date of this letter, we shall without any further correspondences from us, take appropriate legal steps to enforce our clients’ constitutional rights” the letter stated.

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Politics

Nobody can dictate and threaten us over 2023 presidential ticket – APC

Published

on

Sponsored

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has stated that it will not allow anyone blackmail or threaten the party over where it should zone its 2023 presidential ticket to.

 

The ruling party which reacted to statements by some southern leaders; Chief Ayo Adebanjo, Mbazulike Amaechi and Idongesit Ikanga, adviced Southern leaders to lean to lobbying as there is no need to overheat the polity with the ticket for 2023.

ALSO READ:  Soldiers arrest Mali President Ibrahim Boubakar Keïta

 

APC Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Nabena Yekini said in the statement;

Sponsored

 

“They don’t have any right to tell people what to do. It is not by force, threat or intimidation but by negotiation. If they feel strongly about the ticket, they should form their own political party and give their ticket to whichever zone they want to produce the president in 2023.

“It is called politics because you cannot impose anybody on any person. It is a game of numbers. The Southeast must lobby and tell other regions what they have for them. By the way, it is even too early to talk about zoning in 2023. Instead of heating up the polity,  they should resort to alliance, lobbying and consultations.”

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Politics

I have never contemplated leaving the PDP let alone joining the APC – Governor Bala Mohammed

Published

on

Sponsored

Governor Bala Mohammed has ruled out plan of dumping the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the All Progressive Congress (APC).

 

A statement released by the governor’s media aide Mukhtar Gidado, debunked report of the Bala being among the three opposition governors negotiating to join the ruling party.

 

The statement read;

 

“We wish to state that the story is disingenuous speculation driven by a clear marketing urge, to feed the appetites of readers whose hunger for salacious political news has been fuelled by the movement of the Ebonyi State Governor, His Excellency, Engr. Dave Umahi, to the APC and the spate of political alignments and realignments, in the country.

“We wish to state that His Excellency, Senator Bala Mohammed, has never contemplated leaving the PDP, let alone joining the APC.

“Rather, he is presently preoccupied with fulfilling those campaign promises, on the basis of which the good people of Bauchi State supported him to defeat an incumbent administration.”

Sponsored

 

Admitting that the Legislature and the Executive in Bauchi is controlled by different political parties, Bala averred that they have constructed a novel bipartisan arrangement whereby the government of the state was jointly run, in the war against hunger and other challenges in the state.

 

The statement added;

 

“To any patriotic politician, a huge challenge of this nature calls for full-time engagement and not political fortune-hunting.

Based on the above, Governor Bala Mohammed considers talks about decamping to another party and all the permutations about 2023, in the first place, as unwholesome distractions.”

 

Bala described the claims of planned defection as premature and the height of insensitivity to the yearnings of the electorate for transformational change that would improve their living.

 

He called on his supporters, members of the PDP, as well as residents of Bauchi to ignore the report and further reassured them of his administration’s resolve to ensure the good life for all residents irrespective of their party affiliation, gender, tribe, or creed.

Sponsored

ALSO READ:  APC has performed more than critics - AGF, Abubakar Malami
Continue Reading

wso shell