The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission. has denied claims made in a viral video that staff of the Nigerian Embassy in Switzerland called the police to arrest Nigerian citizens.
Recall that on Tuesday September 22, a video surfaced online in which a Nigerian man claimed the embassy staff sent in police officers to arrest them when they visited the embassy for some documentation. Some of the Nigerians who were heard shouting on top of their voices, alleged that they had already made payments for their passports to be renewed but the embassy failed to fulfill the service they paid for.
Reacting to the video, the Head of Media at NIDCOM, Abdulrahman Balogun, denied claims.
In a statement released on Wednesday September 23, Balogun said the Nigerians came into the facility and when they started behaving unruly and ignoring the COVID-19 protocols of having only 10 persons in a room, the Embassy’s protection unit were invited to restore order. He denied claims that police officers were invited to arrest the Nigerians
Read the statement below
VIDEO ON THE ALLEGED ARREST OF NIGERIANS AT THE EMBASSY IN SWITZERLAND- THE FACTS Abuja, Sept. 23, 2020:
In view of the above video it is imperative to state the facts.
In line with Covid-19 protocols, the Embassy in Bern. Switzerland is only allowed to attend to 10 applicants, however, the Mission made it possible to attend to a maximum of 20 daily, spacing out the appointments. But on this day, 64 Nigerians besieged the Nigerian mission in Bern. Only 10 of them were on scheduled appointment.
54 of them had no appointment for that day and had not made the mandatory online payment and majority of the applicants came from Italy and Spain .With no appointment with no online payment.
While the Nigerian Amb. Baba Madagu was addressing them, they barged in through the front door and overcrowded a hall that was meant to receive only 10 people at a time.
The mission did not call the Police as erroneously stated in the video but invited the Embassy Protection Unit to bring calm and decorum back to the hall. The men of the Embassy protection unit addressed them and those on appointment as well as those who had made their online payments were attended to while others were advised to follow the due process, with an assurance that everyone will be attended to as long as the rules were followed.
We appeal to Nigerians abroad to be good ambassadors of Nigeria wherever they are and obey laws put in place.
The Nigerian mission in Bern is still attending to Nigerians who follow the process, pay online and book their appointments as stipulated.”
Romain Grosjean shares update from hospital after horror Formula 1 crash
Romain Grosjean, 34, has shared multiple updates from the hospital after he miraculously survived a horror crash that broke his car in half and saw it go up in flames while he was still in it.
The Haas-Ferrari driver said from the hospital that he is “loving life” after suffering only burns in Sunday’s horror Formula One crash.
His car crashed into a barrier early on during the Bahrain Grand Prix and his vehicle subsequently exploded into a fireball.
Viewers were stunned to see the French-Swiss veteran walk away from the wreckage seemingly injury free after race stewards quickly intervened with a fire extinguisher.
It was later revealed that Grosjean would need to stay in hospital overnight to be treated for burns on his hands.
With large bandages visible in his latest update on Instagram, the driver wrote: “Thank you so much for all your messages. Loving life.”
In an initial post, he said: “Hello everyone, I just wanted to say I am OK – well, sort of OK.
“Thank you very much for all the messages. I wasn’t for the halo some years ago, but I think it’s the greatest thing that we’ve brought to Formula 1.
“Without it I wouldn’t be able to speak with you today.”
Missing 3-year-old girl found safe and reunited with her mother in Rivers
A 3-year-old girl has been found safe and reunited with her mother after she went missing for six hours in Diobu area of Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.
The Commander of Diobu Vigilante group, Godstime Ihunwo, who confirmed the incident on Sunday, November 29, said that the child went missing due to the ”carelessness” of her mother.
“Thanks b 2 God almighty as me & my boys in conjunction with 3 God-fearing & kind hearted men, whom out of their efforts made our job easier in rescuing one Miss Chinaza Ikpe, a 3 years old girl child that went missing 6 hours ago, at about 1pm 2day 29/11/2020, just bcs of d carelessness of her mother Mrs Chinasa. d Child has been handed over 2 d mother by me COMR. GODSTIME W. IHUNWO, d C.S.O./Commander Diobu Vigilante, RUMUELECHI COMMUNITY M/3 UNIT” he said.
Niger workers to resume suspended strike action on Tuesday
Workers in Niger state chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), have disclosed that they will be resuming their suspended indefinite strike action over the decision of the State Government to pay the November salaries of civil servants on a percentage basis.
Leaders of the organized labour in the state said the strike will resume on Tuesday, 1st December 2020 should the government fails to address their grievances.
The NLC disclosed this in a letter addressed to Governor Dani Bello through the Niger Head of Service and signed by NLC Chairman, Comrade Yakubu Garba and TUC Chairman, Comrade Tanimu Yunusa.
“We write on behalf of the State Executive Council (SEC) of Niger State Organised Labour to convey to your esteemed office the harmonized position of the affiliate unions as follows:
“That Niger State Government should refund the slashed June 2020 2020 salaries to desirable civil servants latest Tuesday, 1st December.
“That the discussion on payment of outstanding October 2020 salaries of local government workers must be conclusive on or before Tuesday, December 1, 2020.
“That the proposal by Niger State Government to pay November 2020 salaries of LGAs and state workers on a percentage basis is unacceptable and vehemently rejected.
“That failure of the government to address issues 1, 2 and 3 above, the Organized Labour will be left with no other option than to resume the earlier suspended indefinite strike action effective midnight of
Tuesday, December 1, 2020.”