Connect with us

Crime

Man found guilty of raping and murdering his childhood friend as he walked her home

Published

on

Sponsored

 man has been found guilty of raping and murdering his childhood friend who trusted him to walk her home from a night out.

Wesley Streete, 20, brutally attacked Keeley Bunker, 20. He raped her, strangled her, then dumped her body face-down in a brook in Wigginton Park, Tamworth, after an evening at Snobs nightclub in Birmingham on September 19, 2019.

The supermarket worker faces life in jail after he was also found guilty of a further two counts of rape and three sexual assaults in relation to three other victims.

Man found guilty of raping and murdering his childhood friend as he walked her home

Footage released by Staffordshire Police after the verdict, shows Keeley and Streete laughing and dancing in Snobs nightclub after watching rapper Aitch perform at the 02 Academy in Birmingham.

Man found guilty of raping and murdering his childhood friend as he walked her home

Keeley and Streete dancing at the club on the night he killed her 

After the night out, a friend offered Keeley a bed at her house but the deceased replied: “I’ve got Wes, Wes will walk me back, it’ll be fine.”

ALSO READ:  Internet fraud: UNILORIN student to sweep road and clear gutter for three months
Man found guilty of raping and murdering his childhood friend as he walked her home

Keeley at the club with a friend hours before she was raped and killed

Unfortunately, Wes, who is her childhood friend, proved not to be as trustworthy as she thought.

He pounced on her and choked the life out of her as a result of “sustained pressure” around the neck as they were strolling home, jurors heard during the three-week trial. He is then said to have hoisted the budding primary school teacher’s body on to his shoulder, before spending roughly an hour hiding her in the undergrowth.

Man found guilty of raping and murdering his childhood friend as he walked her home

When she didn’t come home, friends and relatives launched a search party for her. She was found by her horrified uncle Jason Brown at around 9pm the day after she disappeared.

Dean Reynolds, an off-duty police officer, has described Keeley’s uncle’s shouts as “the most horrendous screaming I have heard in my life” as he found her body by torchlight.

ALSO READ:  Customs intercept Dubai-bound passenger with 2,886 ATM cards concealed in noodles carton in Lagos
Sponsored

Wesley Streete was accused of repeatedly lying about what happened on the night of Keeley’s death, changing his account at least four times before trial. After her body was discovered, the supermarket worker claimed he strangled her by mistake during consensual sex and dumped her body as he was “scared” and “embarrassed”.

Man found guilty of raping and murdering his childhood friend as he walked her home

He was said to have returned to the scene five times to cover her body with more branches. The promising footballer had previously told police he left Keeley alive and “she seemed happy – 110%”.

Bodycam footage shows Streete lying to police about Keeley’s whereabouts after she went missing and saying: “I just feel like I’m getting the blame”.

During an interview with officers, he claimed he was “embarrassed” to be accused, saying: “It’s scary, but not scary in a way.”

Detectives, using GPS data recorded by Streete’s own phone, were able to expose the truth when he had claimed to have parted ways with Keeley before she ever reached the park, the court heard.

ALSO READ:  Two friends arrested for allegedly gangraping 17-year-old girl in Jigawa

Prosecutor Jacob Hallam QC said Keeley’s clothing was “in disarray” when she was found and “it was obvious from the state of her body and the way it had been hidden that she had been unlawfully killed”.

A forensic pathologist said there were 100 marks on the young woman’s body, including bruises to her face and scratches to her forehead. There was also deep bruising beneath the skin of her face, her lower lip had been lacerated and there were haemorrhages to the lining of the mouth.

Keeley’s sister has described her as “one of the most vibrant, caring and beautiful souls this earth has ever seen”.

Streete will be sentenced on Friday, August 7.

Below is a video of Keeley’s last dance.

Sponsored

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

We informed military before the attack but nothing was done, Zabarmari residents say following massacre of scores of rice farmers

Published

on

Sponsored

Residents of Zabarmari in Jere Local Government Area of Borno State have claimed that the killing of rice farmers in the community would have been avoided if the Nigerian military had taken action after being informed of the impending attack.

 

According to Daily Trust, one of the surviving villagers, who gave his name as Abubakar Salihu, said they foresaw danger after they arrested one of the Boko Haram terrorists and handed him to the security operatives.

 

He said: “We informed military beforehand that our members sighted Boko Haram in large numbers but nothing was done about it.”

ALSO READ:  Self-acclaimed prophet who allegedly swindles and rapes ladies in search of a life partner online has been arrested in Lagos

 

“It was a sad day for us in Zabarmari; it could have been averted but the military failed to act on the information we gave them,” he added.

 

Another rice farmer, Mohammed Alhaji, told the publication that the victims were busy harvesting rice when the insurgents summoned and assembled them.

 

“It was a deliberate act to ensure that we do not harvest our farm produce. We need the federal government to assist us and secure our lives,” he said.

ALSO READ:  Ex-Nigerian Minister accused of arresting hotel staff and stripping them naked for allegedly stealing N5,000
Sponsored

 

The Zabarmari attack occurred on Saturday, November 28, as Boko Haram terrorists rounded up farmers on rice fields and slit their throats or beheaded them.

 

A total of 43 bodies were recovered in one location after the attack. Bodies recovered from other locations have raised the death toll to 110.

 

The military has not yet responded to the villagers’ claims. However, Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, has blamed the farmers’ deaths on their failure to get military clearance before working on the field.

ALSO READ:  EFCC arrests 22 suspected Internet Fraudsters in Owerri

 

Garba Shehu said this while speaking to the BBC.

 

“The truth has to be said. Was there any military clearance from the military who are in total control of the area? Did anybody ask to resume activity?” Shehu said while speaking to BBC ‘Newsday’.

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Crime

Photos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartment

Published

on

Sponsored

A Nigerian man was arrested for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson out of a window from the 3rd floor of an apartment in Danau Kota, Setapak in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday, November 29.

 

Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigation Department head SAC Nik Ros Azhan Nik Ab Hamid, who confirmed the development on Monday, said the 42-year-old suspect was detained at his house shortly after the incident at about 8am on Sunday.

ALSO READ:  Internet fraud: UNILORIN student to sweep road and clear gutter for three months

 

Photos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartment

 

He said the incident happened when the suspect attempted to rape his 24-year-old stepdaughter who was the boy’s mother.

 

The suspect tried to rape his stepdaughter who was sleeping at that time but was stopped by his wife and three other stepdaughters.

 

Photos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartment

Sponsored

 

The suspect became furious and went on a rampage, hitting and stomping on his wife and four stepchildren in the house,” he told journalists on Monday.

ALSO READ:  White man wore blackface and fake beard as disguise before allegedly killing the mother of his child

 

Nik Ros Azhan said the suspect hit his step-grandson, before flinging him out of the window in the main room.

 

He said the suspect’s 49-year-old wife who saw the incident, then shouted for help and rushed to get help from the neighbours and security guards to save herself and her other children.

ALSO READ:  Man posing as an aide to Assistant Inspector General of Police arrested for defrauding 11 people of over N10m (photo)

 

The suspect tried to escape by jumping out through the window and was injured. He was detained by the public and security guards at the apartment,” he said.

 

Nik Ros Azhan said the suspect suffered injuries to his hands and some parts of the body and was taken to Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) for further treatment.

 

Photos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartmentPhotos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartmentPhotos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartmentPhotos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartmentPhotos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartmentPhotos: Nigerian man arrested in Malaysia for allegedly throwing his 4-year-old step-grandson from third floor apartment

 

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Crime

Lagos Judicial Panel: Man recounts how SARS officers allegedly shot at him and killed his girlfriend

Published

on

Sponsored

A man identified as Emmanuel Akomafuwe, appeared before the Lagos state Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Saturday November 28 where he recounted how he was allegedly shot at and his girlfriend simply identified as Adaugo, was allegedly killed by men of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) around 7 pm on April 13, 2019.

 

Akomafuwe, who was the first petitioner in today’s hearing, said he was driving with his girlfriend when men of the disbanded police unit stopped him. He told the panel that when he sought to know why they were stopped, an argument ensued and he was shot in the head by a police officer, he later came to know as Inspector Dan Ojo. He said the inspector also shot his girlfriend, Adaugo in the stomach and leg.

ALSO READ:  Two friends arrested for allegedly gangraping 17-year-old girl in Jigawa

 

According to Akomafuwe, after the shooting, the police officers who were six in number, took to their heels and left them at the scene to die. He said he survived the incident but his girlfriend died after she was rushed to the hospital.

 

“The officers involved are living their lives. Some of them were arrested but they have been released. None of them have been punished,” he said.

The news of the incident was published in the newspapers and after this, the commissioner of police promised to pay my hospital bills but this did not happen and the police never returned to visit.

Sponsored

I did scans on my skull and brain at Reddington, and also checked in Dubai. My sanity hasn’t been the same since the incident and I still can’t sleep without pills.” he said

 

Akomafuwe alleged that one Inspector Dan Ojo was the one who fired the gun that injured him and also killed his girlfriend and that he wants the officer to be prosecuted.

 

The Police counsel however asked for more time to enable them to review the petition. According to the counsel, the police just became aware of the case and many officers are said to be involved, so there’s a need for time to track them.

 

The panel adjourned the petition to Dec 11 for the cross-examination of the petitioner.

 

Sponsored

Continue Reading

wso shell