Connect with us

Sports

Legendary Spain and Real Madrid keeper, Iker Casillas announces his retirement from football 14 months after suffering a heart attack

Published

on

Sponsored

Legendary former Real Madrid and Spain goalkeeper, Iker Casillas has announced his retirement from football at the age of 39. In a post on his Twitter account on Tuesday August 4, Casillas announced his retirement in an emotional letter.

He said: ‘The important thing is the path you travel and the people who accompany you, not the destination to which it takes you.’Because that with work and effort, I think I can say, without hesitation, that is has been the path and the dream destination.

Casillas, who spent most of his career with Real Madrid made 725 appearances for the Spanish giants. He won three Champions Leagues, five La Liga titles, and two Copa del Rey crowns. He also led Spain to glory, winning three major tournaments, Euro 2008, the 2010 World Cup, and Euro 2012.

ALSO READ:  Lionel Messi returns to training with Barcelona for the first time since asking to leave the club (Photos)

The legendary goalkeeper who later moved to Porto in 2015, where he won two Portuguese Primeira Liga titles, suffered a heart attack during a training session with Porto in May last year. He returned months later but failed to make an appearance since then.

Sponsored

Real Madrid also paid their own tribute to a player who appeared in 725 competitive matches for them over the course of 16 seasons between 1999 and 2015. They wrote: ‘Real Madrid CF wants to show his appreciation, admiration and love for one of the greatest legends of our club and world football. ‘The best goalkeeper in the history of Real Madrid and Spanish football came to our house when he was nine years old.’Here our shirt was formed and defended for 25 years, being forever one of our most iconic captains. Iker Casillas has earned the love of Real Madrid and is a benchmark of the values ??that represent Real Madrid.

ALSO READ:  Lionel Messi tops Cristiano Ronaldo in list of 10 best-paid players in world football

‘Today, one of the most important footballers in our 118-year history, a player whom we love and admire, a goalkeeper who has enlarged the legend of Real Madrid with his work and with exemplary behavior both inside and outside, says goodbye as a professional player.

ALSO READ:  Greek-based Nigerian NBA star, Giannis Antetokounmpo wins Most Valuable Player Award for second straight season

Iker Casillas was included 5 times in the FIFA FIFPro World XI and chosen 5 times best goalkeeper in the world by the IFFHS. ‘His impressive sports career has been recognized with the Prince of Asturias Award for Sports, the Grand Cross of the Royal Order of Sports Merit, the Gold Medal of the Royal Order of Sports Merit and the Gold Medal of the Community of Madrid.

‘Iker Casillas belongs to the heart of Real Madrid and will be so forever. Real Madrid wants to convey to him and his family the affection of our club, which is the club of his life.’

Sponsored

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Manchester City announce £64m signing of Ruben Dias from Benfica on a six-year deal 

Published

on

By

Sponsored

Manchester City has announced the signing of Portuguese defender Ruben Dias from Benfica in a £64.3million move.

 

The 23-year-old who had his medical in Lisbon signed a six-year contract, which saw Nicolas Otamendi moved to Benfica for £13.7m as part of the deal.

 

‘I am a player that loves to win, a player for the team, for the fans, a player that loves this family spirit which I am feeling a lot since I have been here,’ Dias said.

 

‘I am an aggressive player and I love what I do. I love the game and without getting into too much detail, because it is something you will see when I start playing, the most important thing to say is I love to win and that is the thing you most need to know about me.

ALSO READ:  Harry Maguire to remain as Man Utd captain despite police assault court case in Greece

Manchester City announce ?64m signing of Ruben Dias from Benfica on a six-year deal?

‘I am expecting the Premier League to be the reason why I wanted to be a football player. To have that feeling when I am on the field, when my arms get goosebumps.

 

‘That is it, that feeling, you cannot even put it into words. For me, the Premier League means all of that and to be able to play in the Premier League at a top club like City, it doesn’t get much bigger than that.’

ALSO READ:  Manchester City announce £64m signing of Ruben Dias from Benfica on a six-year deal 
Sponsored

 

After failing to replace Vincent Kompany last year, City sporting director Txiki Begiristain revealed that the club are expecting Dias to take leadership responsibility.

 

‘Ruben is a player we have admired for some time and we have been impressed with how he has progressed at Benfica,’ Begiristain said.

 

‘He has developed into a real leader and as a defender, he has all the attributes we are looking for. He is strong in the air, good in one v one situations and technically, he is very good, so we are confident he can thrive in our system.

ALSO READ:  Man United striker, Mason Greenwood apologises after he was kicked out of England squad for allowing girls into his hotel room amid covid-19

Manchester City announce ?64m signing of Ruben Dias from Benfica on a six-year deal?

‘He is young but has gained valuable experience at a big European club in Benfica and we’re really pleased we’ve been able to sign him. He is another talented addition to the squad and someone who is only going to get better working under Pep.’

 

Dias, who becomes City’s third signing of the summer following the arrivals of Nathan Ake and Ferran Torres, will wear the No 3 shirt.

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Sports

Liverpool midfielder, Thiago Alcantara tests positive for Coronavirus

Published

on

By

Sponsored

Liverpool midfielder, Thiago Alcantara has tested positive for coronavirus and is self-isolating, the club confirmed on Tuesday.

 

The 29-year-old Spaniard only joined Liverpool from Bayern Munich last month in a deal worth up to £25m, and made his debut for the Premier League champions in a 2-0 win at Chelsea on September 20.

ALSO READ:  Harry Maguire to remain as Man Utd captain despite police assault court case in Greece

 

He was a surprise absentee from Liverpool’s squad that faced Arsenal in Monday night’s 3-1 victory, but his omission has now been explained.

 

Liverpool released a statement via the club’s official Twitter account confirming his diagnosis: “Thiago Alcantara has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently self-isolating according to the necessary guidelines.”

Sponsored

 

ALSO READ:  Man United striker, Mason Greenwood apologises after he was kicked out of England squad for allowing girls into his hotel room amid covid-19

“The 29-year-old, who missed Monday’s match against Arsenal, has exhibited minor symptoms of the virus but is in good health and is getting better.”

 

“The club has, and will continue to follow, all protocols relating to COVID-19 and Thiago will remain in self-isolation for the required period of time.”

 

LFC first-team doctor, Dr Jim Moxon, added: “It is the choice of each individual whether they reveal publicly the outcome of a COVID-19 test.

ALSO READ:  Lionel Messi tops Cristiano Ronaldo in list of 10 best-paid players in world football

 

“We have followed all the protocols to the letter and Thiago is OK. He will be self-isolating now as per the guidelines and hopefully he’ll be back with us soon.”

Sponsored

Continue Reading

Sports

Chelsea complete £22m signing of Senegalese goalkeeper Edouard Mendy from Rennes

Published

on

Sponsored

Chelsea have completed the signing of goalkeeper Edouard Mendy from Ligue 1 outfit Rennes in a £22m deal.

 

The Senegalese international, 28, has penned a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge and is expected to become Chelsea’s No 1 ahead of Kepa Arrizabalaga and Willy Caballero.

 

After signing his long-term contract with the Blues, Mendy said: ‘I am so excited to be joining Chelsea. It’s a dream for me to be a part of this exciting squad and to work with Frank Lampard and all of his coaching staff. I look forward to meeting my team-mates and can’t wait to get started.’

Sponsored
ALSO READ:  Harry Maguire to remain as Man Utd captain despite police assault court case in Greece

 

On signing Mendy, Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: ‘As soon as Petr Cech and our technical team identified Edouard as the most suitable goalkeeper to complement our existing group, there was only one player we wanted to bring in. Edouard arrives following a season of real success with Rennes, he is ambitious for more, and we welcome him to our club.’

 

ALSO READ:  Lionel Messi tops Cristiano Ronaldo in list of 10 best-paid players in world football

Edouard Mendy becomes Chelsea’s seventh signing after the arrival of Hakim Ziyech (Ajax) Malang Sarr (Nice) Ben Chilwell (Leicester) Thiago Silva (PSG), Timo Werner ( RB Leipzig ), and Kai Havertz ( Bayern Leverkusen).

ALSO READ:  Man United striker, Mason Greenwood apologises after he was kicked out of England squad for allowing girls into his hotel room amid covid-19

Sponsored

Continue Reading