Connect with us

Politics

Governor Sanwo-Olu suspends director for imposing 5% levy on all audio and visual content

Published

on

The Executive Secretary of the Lagos State Film and Video Censors Board, Bamidele Balogun has been suspended by Governor Jide Sanwo-Olu over the imposition of a 5% levy on all audio and visual content streamed on all phyical and digital platforms around Lagos.

 

Gossip9ja reported earlier that in one letters addressed to the Managing Director of Iroko TV, the Lagos State Film and Video Censors Board requested for the “immediate payment of 5% levy on all audio and visual content produced, sold, distributed, marketed, exhibited, streamed, downloaded and shared across all physical and digital platform situate, lying and being within the state.”

ALSO READ:  Oyo State Government postpones Common Entrance Examination Dates.

 

Lagos state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotosho later disclosed that the Executive Secretary was not authorised to make such an announcement.

ALSO READ:  Photos: President Buhari meets Edo APC governorship candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu

 

Omotosho stated that the Sanwo-Olu administration is not insensitive to the fact that the creative industry has been badly hit by the effects of the COVID -19 pandemic and empathises with this and other sectors of the economy.

 

The statement read;

 

“There is no levy on audio and visual contents of all physical and digital platforms in Lagos State. The Executive Secretary, Lagos State Film and Video Censors Board, Mr. Bamidele Balogun, is said to have announced a five per cent levy.

“The government hereby dissociates itself from the said announcement in the media. The Executive Secretary, who was not authorised to make such an announcement, has been suspended, pending an administrative enquiry.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Without thugs, APC will be beaten silly in Edo – Governor Wike

Published

on

Governor Nyesom Wike has commented on the upcoming governorship election in Edo state.

 

The Rivers state Governor in an interview on African Independent Television (AIT) on Thursday September 17, alleged that the All Progressives Congress (APC) is hoping to win the election by manipulating the result.

 

Wike who is also the chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) campaign council on Edo governorship election, stated that the APC “will be beaten silly in the governorship election” if there are no thugs spearheading electoral malpractices.

 

He said;

 

“The IG has said they will not give room to any thugs, to any miscreants, and it is our prayer that is done. If that is done, APC will be beaten silly in this election. If what IG said is carried out, you will see that APC will not near – the only hope they have is to manipulate the security agencies.

“Remember what happened in my case and if you take the case of Rivers state, it was very clear, and the way I see APC going, the desperation is so much and the only hope APC has today is to use security agents, is to manipulate the process.

“Our own business is to let our people know, if you know the police are [compromised], we will not allow it. We want to believe in them but however, don’t slip, don’t slip, make sure you follow them bumper to bumper.

“Make sure you monitor what is happening. Let one policeman tell you that after they have declared results in this unit, that you cannot as an agent, follow that result to the collation centre. That is not correct.

“In some cases, you see security agents coming to even beat the agents of the opposition party. It is not something that anyone will come and tell me that you have assured me that nothing will happen.”

 

ALSO READ:  ''Shameless vultures'' Dele Momodu blasts members of the Buhari Media Organization for describing him as Diezani's lackey

On governance in Edo state, Wike said;

 

“Everybody knows, go to Edo, they don’t do publicity. They do their thing quietly. It may be different from ours.

“Last time I went to Ogbemudia stadium, it was nothing to write home about, but go and see Ogbemudia stadium today. He has built all the high courts, he showed me.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Nigeria is becoming a failed and divided state under President Buhari – Obasanjo

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has once again attacked the Buhari-led government, saying that Nigeria is slowly becoming a failed and divided state under this administration.

 

Obasanjo stated this while delivering a speech titled, ‘Moving Nigeria Away from Tipping Over’ at a consultative dialogue attended by various socio-cultural groups including Afenifere, Middle Belt Forum, Northern Elders Forum, Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo and Pan Niger Delta Forum, in Abuja on Thursday, September 10.

 

The former President said he has never seen Nigeria more divided as it currently is under the Buhari-led government. He expressed sadness that Nigeria is also now the poverty capital of the world.

ALSO READ:  Photos: President Buhari meets Edo APC governorship candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu

 

“I do appreciate that you all feel sad and embarrassed as most of us feel as Nigerians with the situation we find ourselves in. Today, Nigeria is fast drifting to a failed and badly divided state; economically our country is becoming a basket case and poverty capital of the world, and socially, we are firming up as an unwholesome and insecure country.

“And these manifestations are the products of recent mismanagement of diversity and socio-economic development of our country. Old fault lines that were disappearing have opened up in greater fissures and with drums of hatred, disintegration and separation and accompanying choruses being heard loud and clear almost everywhere.” he said

 

ALSO READ:  Breaking: Tribunal nullifies election of Bayelsa state governor Duoye Diri; orders INEC to conduct fresh election within 90 days

According to the former President, only self-deluded people would claim that all is well in Nigeria. He knocked some politicians who are already in talks about the 2023 presidential election instead of fixing the problem the nation already has.

“I believe Nigeria is worth saving on the basis of mutuality and reciprocity and I also believe it can be done through the process of dialogues rather than talking at each other or resorting to violence. It will amount to dangerous and destructive self-delusion for anybody to claim that all is well in Nigeria today.

Some people are obsessed with 2023, I believe that with death, destruction, debt, disease, deceit, disbelief, disenchantment, doubt and suspicion around, we need to see our way through to 2023 and beyond in some form of unity of purpose, reasonable security, shared values, true democratic practice, inclusiveness and shared society. That is why we are here. No constitution is even permanent; it is dynamic with time and experience.” he said

Continue Reading

Politics

Federal Govt announces plans to spend $2.3b on 7,000Mw power generation

Published

on

The Minister of State for Power, Mr Goddy Agba has revealed that  the Federal Government plans to spend about $2.3 billion in the first phase of the Presidential Power Initiative (PPI) project, aimed at increasing the nation’s power transmission capacity to 7,000megawatts (Mw).

 

According to Agba, the objective was to increase the transmission capacity from the current level of just over 5,000Mw to 7,000Mw thereby drawing the country closer to it’s electricity-reliance goal.

“The PPI is structured into various three phases, aimed at increasing power delivered to Nigerians to 7GW in first phase, 11GW in the second phase and 25GW in third phase.” Agba said during the Nigerian Energy Forum (NEF 2020) Webinar in Lagos, tagged: Energy Solution for Sustainable Recovery.

ALSO READ:  School feeding programme gulped over N500m during lockdown - Minister of humanitarian affairs, Sadiya Farouq claims

“The project is to be executed at the cost of $2.3billion  forms the phase 1 of the  PPI and is funded by a loan from a consortium of German Banks for 85 per cent of the contract sum; while 15 per cent counterpart funding is provided by the federal government.

“A Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) called FGN Powerco is in the process of being set-up following Mr President’s approval. The SPV will warehouse the project’s contingent liability for accountability.

ALSO READ:  Rock & Roll legend Neil Young sues Trump's campaign for playing his songs during rallies without permission

“We have also constituted the Nigerian Project Management Office (PMO) with the sole responsibility of providing project management of the project on behalf of the government,” he said.

 

Agba also announced that the government will implement the Transmission Enhancement Programme with key development partners to improve the sector.

“The World Bank, African Development Bank (AfDB), JICA have raised $1.6 billion for Transmission Rehabilitation and Expansion Programme (TREP), which is ongoing now with major projects as follows:

“The Alaoji-Onitsha, Delta Power Station-Benin and Kaduna-Kano at $410 million and $29 million is intended to build a 330kV Double Circuit 62KM line between Birnin Kebbi and Kamba.

ALSO READ:  Governor Sule calls for collaboration on security in Nasarawa

“The Lagos/Ogun Transmission Infrastructure Project (JICA) with $200 million, Abuja Transmission Ring Scheme (AFD)-$170 million and Northern Corridor Transmission Project (AFD & EU) with $274million,” he said.

 

Also speaking, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr John Momoh, said the new tariff put in place would address the challenge from stakeholders in power sector. He also said meters would be provided for enumerated customers in a year or two.

Continue Reading