Connect with us

ENDSARS

Governor Akeredolu calls for suspension of #EndSARS protest, says it has been hijacked by hoodlums and political thugs

Published

on

Sponsored

Ondo State Governor and Chairman of the Southwest Governors’ Forum, Rotimi Akeredolu, has called for the suspension of #EndSARS protest to allow the government take action.

 

Akeredolu stated this on Sunday, October 18, during a visit to his Osun State counterpart, Governor Gboyega Oyetola at the Government House, Osogbo, following an attack on him by suspected thugs in Osogbo, the Osun State Capital on Saturday.

 

Governor Akeredolu who had earlier condemned the attack by suspected hoodlums who hijacked the #EndSars protest, describing it as most disturbing, said everyone must come together and condemn the attack.

 

He appealed to the protesting youths to suspend the protest for now and allow Government look into their demands.

ALSO READ:  The killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate and other parts of the country yesterday is condemnable - Peter Obi

 

Declaring his support for the #EndSars protest and the right of the people to protest, the Governor expressed worry that the genuine youths have been infiltrated by hoodlums who are ready to hijack the peaceful protest to unleash violence.

 

”Yesterday’s incident was most disturbing. It was unfortunate. It’s a development that all of us must condemn. it’s mostly an act of terrorism. When I saw it, I felt very bad. I felt I should come today to solidarize with you. We thank God for sparing your life. Valuables must have been lost, but we thank God for your life,” he said.

Sponsored

 

The Governor also commended the security team of Governor Oyetola for being able to handle the situation despite the attack.

ALSO READ:  Escaped Benin prison inmates given 3 days ultimatum to return by Governor Obaseki

 

“We thank God for the security team of the Governor for being able to manage the situation. It could have led to something else but for the way the Governor’s security team handled the situation,”

 

Akeredolu said: “The agitation of the #Endsars protesters is right , and we are not saying it’s unfounded, if I have my way I would be with them every other day. What they are protesting is what Fela Anikulapo called Sorrow, Tears and Blood. We are not condemning #EndSars demonstration. But for now, why don’t we suspend it and allow government to take actions.

ALSO READ:  Outrage as #EndSARS frontliner is prevented from leaving the country and her passport seized; Oby Ezekwesili, Lala Akindoju and others react

 

“I appeal to the youths on the street to give government time. You can give us ultimatum. I want to use this medium to appeal to them. Their rank and file is being infiltrated by thugs and hoodlums. When people hijack #EndSars protest, it could be catastrophic. What happened in Osun can not be protest. It should be condemned. I’m happy my brother is alive and well.” he added.

 

Responding, Governor Oyetola said the #EndSars protest has gone beyond what’s expected, adding that although protest is legitimate but hoodlums and political thugs have hijacked it from the genuine youths.

 

Sponsored

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ENDSARS

Police re-arrest four prisoners who escaped from Edo prison

Published

on

Sponsored

Four prisoners who escaped from Oko Prison during the #EndSARS crisis have been re-arrested by the police.

 

The suspects were paraded at the Nigeria Police Force tactical unit in Abuja, alongside others who were arrested for various offences bordering on armed robbery, car theft, unlawful possession of weapons, illegal dealing and selling of weapons.

ALSO READ:  Enough Is Enough – Nadia Buari Add Her Voice To End Police Brutality In Nigeria (Video)

 

The prisoners who escaped from the facility have been identified as Adebayo Opeyemi, Oloride Benjamin, Peter Osas, Hudu Musa and Frank Odion.

ALSO READ:  The killing of peaceful protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate and other parts of the country yesterday is condemnable - Peter Obi
Sponsored

 

While Mr Opeyemi is a dismissed soldier, Mr Benjamin was convicted and sentenced to death and Mr Musa had nine months remaining to serve out his prison term.

 

It was gathered that the suspects have snatched a total of four vehicles since their escape. Mr Benjamin on the other hand, snatched a vehicle 30mins after he escaped because he needed to leave Benin City.

ALSO READ:  UK’s Media Giant, The Guardian Requests For EndSars Videos From Protesters

Sponsored

Continue Reading

ENDSARS

Northern Governors are not against disbandment of SARS – Governor Lalong

Published

on

Sponsored

Governor Simon Lalong has made a clarification on the stance of Northern Governors on the disbandment of controversial police unit, Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

 

Lalong who is the chairman of Northern Governors Forum on Wednesday November 18, said they are not against the scrapping of SARS contrary to some misconceptions in some quarters.

ALSO READ:  Twitter CEO, Jack Dorsey tweets '#EndSARS' again after being threatened by former presidential aspirant Garba Adamu

 

He said;

 

“The Northern Governors Forum is not against the disbandment of SARS as misconstrued in some quarters. We rather caution against the blanket condemnation of the police that can erode the confidence and zeal of the hardworking and honest ones in performing their duties of protecting lives and properties.”

Sponsored

 

Reiterating the region’s commitment in tackling the several challenges facing the region, Lalong said the forum will collaborate with Federal Government and security agencies to address the issues of banditry, terrorism, kidnapping, and other criminal activities.

 

He added;

 

“We must tackle the current challenges of insecurity in the region which is dominated by insurgency, kidnapping, banditry, rape, child abuse and trafficking and other conflicts.

“We shall continue to work with the Federal Government and security agencies to tackle crime and criminality. That is why we have supported a comprehensive reform of police architecture in the country.”

Sponsored

Continue Reading

ENDSARS

CNN releases findings from its independent investigation on Lekki shooting; shares videos of what appears to be soldiers shooting directly at the crowd

Published

on

Sponsored

CNN has released its findings from an independent investigation carried out on the October 20 shooting incident at the Lekki tollgate.

CNN releases findings from its independent investigation on Lekki shooting; shares videos of what appears to be soldiers shooting directly at the crowd

CNN shared footage of what appears to be soldiers shooting at the #EndSARS protesters who had gathered at the tollgate to press home their demands to end SARS as well as end police brutality.

CNN releases findings from its independent investigation on Lekki shooting; shares videos of what appears to be soldiers shooting directly at the crowd

CNN in its investigation spoke with a man, Elisha Sunday, whose brother, Victor, was killed during the October 20th shooting incident.

ALSO READ:  Nigerian police is responding to allegations of brutality with more brutality - Trevor Noah on killing at Lekki Toll Gate (video)

CNN releases findings from its independent investigation on Lekki shooting; shares videos of what appears to be soldiers shooting directly at the crowd

The media house also spoke with some of the protesters who were at the scene when the shooting occurred. They claim the soldiers indeed fired shots at them.

 

The media house also tracked the bullets shells seen at the Toll Gate and the companies that supplied the Nigerian Army Weapons since 2005

Sponsored

 

Recall Nigeria drew global attention when military men stormed the Lekki toll plaza where #EndSARS protesters gathered and fired gunshots.

ALSO READ:  Lekki Concession Company denies removing the CCTVs at the tollgate

 

Shortly after the incident, Governor Sanwo-Olu in a press conference stated that no sitting governor controls the rules of engagement of the military. On October 26, the governor granted an interview to CNN where he stated that only two deaths were recorded from the incident. He added that he visited the scene the next day and couldn’t find bloodstains.

 

On the day of the incident, the Nigerian Army took to its Twitter handle to deny claims its personnel was at the scene of the incident.

ALSO READ:  Twitter CEO, Jack Dorsey tweets '#EndSARS' again after being threatened by former presidential aspirant Garba Adamu

CNN releases findings from its independent investigation on Lekki shooting; shares videos of what appears to be soldiers shooting directly at the crowd

On October 27, the Army broke its silence and alleged that the Lagos state governor invited them to help quell the violence that erupted after the protest was hijacked by hoodlums. Read here.

 

Watch the video from CNN’s independent investigation below

 

B

Sponsored

Continue Reading

wso shell