Former Italy, Juventus, China and World Cup-winning boss Marcello Lippi has retired from coaching.
Lippi, 72, has been unemployed since resigning as China head coach in November last year following a 2022 World Cup qualifying defeat to Syria.
He lasted just six months in the job, his second time coaching China’s team.
After spells with Atalanta and Napoli, Lippi took charge of Juventus in 1994 helping them to three Serie A titles and the club’s last Champions League trophy in 1995-96.
Across two stints as Juve coach, and a one-year reign with rivals Inter, Lippi won five Serie A trophies, four Supercoppa Italiana crowns, the Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, Intercontinental Cup and Coppa Italia.
After leaving Juventus in 2004, Lippi helped Italy to World Cup glory in 2006 and he was re-appointed by the Azzurri in 2008 following two years away from the national team.
The legendary coach now says he won’t coach again.
“I’m definitely done with the coaching job,” Lippi told Radio Sportiva .
“That’s right, it’s enough. Maybe I could be useful in other roles, let’s see. But nothing until spring.”
In China, Lippi joined Guangzhou Evergrande in 2012 and claimed three Chinese Super League titles and the AFC Champions League trophy to go with Chinese FA Cup and Chinese FA Super Cup success.
But Lippi didn’t have any success with China’s national team and announced his resignation in November last year after a shocking loss to Syria.
“A team should give everything on the pitch. The tactics of the head coach should be carried out. If the player is afraid of losing the game, then there is no fighting spirit, desire, guts,” Lippi said post-match.
“It is my responsibility, the head coach’s responsibility, although we defeated Guam and the Maldives, but the team that we played against today was better, more coordinated and organised than us.
“My annual salary is very high. I am fully responsible for this loss. Now I declare that I officially resigned.”
Wolves striker, Raul Jimenez suffers fractured skull after head clash with David Luis in Arsenal game; undergoes surgery
Wolves have confirmed that striker Raul Jimenez suffered a fractured skull and has undergone an operation following his head clash with David Luis against Arsenal on Sunday, November 29.
The Mexican striker was stretchered off after the head clash with Arsenal defender David Luiz and was given oxygen after the accidental incident.
The clash of heads occurred early in the match and resulted in a lengthy delay of around 10 minutes as paramedics and medical staff saw to both players.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 7:27pm today (29 November) to reports of a person injured at Emirates Stadium on Queensland Road, Holloway.
“We sent an ambulance crew, an advanced paramedic, an incident response officer and a medic in car to the scene. We also dispatched London’s Air Ambulance by car.
“We treated a man at the scene and took him to a major trauma centre.”
The 29-year-old was taken to a London hospital, where he was conscious and responding to treatment.
In a statement on Monday, Wolves said: “Raul is comfortable following an operation last night, which he underwent in a London hospital.
“He has since seen his partner Daniela and is now resting. He will remain under observation for a few days while he begins his recovery.
“The club would like to thank the medical staff at Arsenal, the NHS paramedics, hospital staff and surgeons who, through their skill and early response, were of such help.
“The club ask that Raul and his family are now afforded a period of space and privacy, before any further updates are provided in due course.”
England Footballer Jack Grealish admits to two driving charges after crashing his £80,000 Range Rover during Covid-19 lockdown
Aston Villa captain and England footballer, Jack Grealish has pled guilty to two charges of careless driving, including one offence in connection with a car crash during the Coronavirus lockdown in March in the UK.
Back in March, the Aston Villa captain crashed his £80k Range Rover into a parked car in Dickens heath before leaving the scene.
It is believed he spent the night at a luxury flat, believed to belong to former teammate Ross McCormack.
Reports say he attended a party.
Grealish was photographed at the scene looking confused wearing a pair of white slippers and a blue Givenchy hoodie.
The incident happened barely 24 hours after he posted a social media video asking people to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives.
After the news of the crash went viral, Grealish issued a video message on Twitter in which he said he was “deeply embarrassed”.
In the message, he said he had “stupidly agreed” to go to a friend’s house.
In court today, October 24 at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court Grealish admitted to one offence in connection with a collision involving his £80,000 Range Rover on March 29, while the second charge involved careless driving relating to allegations he drove without due care anud attention on the M42, in October.
But he denied two other charges of failing to stop and failing to report the incident, which occurred a matter of days into the first UK Covid-19 lockdown.
Since the Crown Prosecution Service offered no evidence in court regarding the two other charges Grealish denied, the charges were dismissed by the judge.
Grealish’s trial this afternoon proceeded in his absence as his plea was entered through his lawyer.
He is now set to face a driving ban.
‘Messi told me he was screwed when I rejected Barca’- Antoine Griezmann
Barcelona and France striker, Antonie Griezmann has revealed that his initial decision to reject a transfer to Barcelona in 2018 angered superstar footballer, Lionel Messi.
Despite recent controversies painting a negative relationship between Messi amd Griezmann, Messi spoke positively about Griezmann joining the club in 2018, and the Frenchman has admitted the pair had a long conversation when he eventually joined the club.
“When I signed for the club I asked for forgiveness for delaying the move and saying I wouldn’t join Barcelona,” Griezmann told Jorge Valdano on the latest edition of Universo Valdano. “I told Lionel Messi that I would give everything on the pitch for the club.
“I spoke with Leo when I arrived and he told me that when I turned down the first chance to go, he was screwed because he had asked for it publicly, but he told me he was with me and I notice it every day.“
Griezmann’s former agent Eric Olhats and uncle Emmanuel Lopes have caused controversy by saying Griezmann has a negative relationship with Messi but the striker says he has no relationship with both men .
“He (Olhats) was very important in my life but I don’t have a relationship with him anymore,” Griezmann said.
“I stopped having any relationship with him since the day I got married. I invited him to the wedding day, and he didn’t come. That’s why I stopped having a relationship with him.
“My uncle doesn’t know how football works. And in the end, the journalist ended up getting the statement out of him. I told Leo that I never speak to them, in fact, I don’t even have my uncle’s phone number.
“My parents don’t talk to Eric either, so who is going to talk to him? He can do a lot of damage, and create problems in the dressing room.”
Barcelona are struggling in La Liga, where they sit in 13th in the table – 12 points behind leaders Real Sociedad, albeit with two games in hand.